In some states, insurance coverage for nutrition-related services provided by a qualified licensed nutritionist is expanding. Coverage in the great state of Massachusetts, where I practice in Great Barrington, is pretty good.
Insurance for Nutrition In-Network
- BCBS of MA, Indemnity Product, Preferred Provider Arrangement Product, and HMO Blue. Only face-to-face sessions are currently covered.
- For HMO BCBS coverage, you will need a referral from your primary care physician. Here is a referral form you can use. The PPO does not require a referral.
- Cigna, All commercial products. OAP/PPO plans do not require a referral, while HMO/IFP/EPO plans do.
- United Health Care (UHC). All commercial products. UHC covers Telehealth for Nutrition!
- CDPHP. All commercial products.
Credentialing is underway for Medicare, MA Health and other insurance.
If you need to get a referral from your primary care doctor, here is a referral form that may be helpful.
How Do I Find Out if I Have Insurance for Nutrition?
If you have a nutrition-related medical condition (see the list below – that’s just a starter list!), call the number on the back of your insurance card to inquire about your coverage.
If you do have coverage but I’m not in your network, you may be able to private-pay for services and receive reimbursement in accord with your insurance. Be sure to ask your insurer for all details of what you’ll need to get reimbursement for a visit with a nutritionist licensed in MA.
You may (please ask your insurer) be covered to see me Out-of-Network. You can receive something from me called a superbill for our work together, which can aid with your reimbursement of approved care.
Nutrition-related Conditions (partial list)
- Eating Disorders
- Metabolic Syndrome
- High Blood Pressure
- High Cholesterol
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Crohn’s Disease
- Ulcerative Colitis
- Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease
- Food Allergies or Intolerance
- Kidney Disease
- Lyme’s Disease Fatigue
- Have not had a nutrition assessment and plan (wellness visits are sometimes covered)
If you have one of the above conditions, specialized nutrition and lifestyle coaching can be helpful and may be covered by insurance.
Nutrition works! Ready to make an appointment? Call or email.
If you read all of this and need a 15-minute Discovery call chat with me to help decide if this is something you can and want to do – by all means! Call me at 413-644-6440 or email me.