Who needs refined sugar, anyway? Nobody, really.
With just a bit of effort, you can enjoy naturally sweet foods and kiss foods with added sugar (and the rollercoaster of hunger and overeating they cause) goodbye. If you need convincing, here’s a recipe to get you started. It couldn’t be easier.
Serve this compote warm as a topping to grass-fed yogurt or whole grains and top with nuts. Makes a great desert or breakfast. How about to top some buckwheat pancakes for a Sunday breakfast?
- 3 young stalks rhubarb, cleaned and sliced crossways to approximate 1/2 inch cubes
- 10-12 strawberries, cleaned and sliced in half
- 1/2 inch slice fresh ginger
- 2-3 Tbsp water
- Prepare ginger. You can peel ginger easily by scraping it with a spoon. Do that, then dice.
- Simmer everything. Place rhubarb, strawberries and diced ginger into a small saucepan and simmer over low heat until soft, 15-20 minutes. Add water if needed to make or keep things juicy.
- Serve warm over grass-fed yogurt as a dessert or warm or cold with breakfast grains and nuts. Or, just eat warm as a sweet and tangy natural treat or side-dish.