This Garlicky Leek Soup Recipe was inspired by my love of potatoes. While there is only a little potato in it, that certain creamy potato flavor is there. The combination of potatoes, leeks, and garlic are more than the sum of their parts – they were made to sing together. Lately, I’ve been on the sub cauliflower for white potatoes in everything train, and I did stir some cauliflower into one bowl of this soup and that was delicious. In this vein (of mashed potatoes) you might top a bowl with a little grass-fed organic plain yogurt. This recipe also has a boost of plant protein with a can of white beans in there. All in all, a nutrient-dense and delicious soup, perfect for a cool spring day.
In my humble opinion, potatoes have gotten a bad rap in the healthy food world. They are rich in fiber and vitamin C, and particularly when you can find smaller colorful purple, red or gold fingerlings – all very worth the space in your garden – filled with disease-busting antioxidants.
Garlicky Leek Soup
- Soup pot
- Immersion blender or Regular blender
- 1 large spanish onion chopped
- 2 medium carrots cleaned and chopped
- 4-5 stalks celery chopped
- 6 large cloves garlic peeled, center stem removed, chopped
- 1 medium organic potato skin on, chopped
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 6 cups clean water
- 3 large leeks sliced and rinsed
- 2 Tbsp thyme dry
- 1 15-oz can cannelloni beans (Eden brands is a good choice)
- 1 small bunch parsley chopped
- 1 pinch salt and black pepper or to taste
- Place onion, carrots, celery garlic and potato in a heavy soup pot, with olive oil, and simmer over medium heat until vegetables are soft. Add leeks and thyme and stir. Once you smell the leeks and thyme begin to cook (couple minutes), add water and beans.
- Turn to medium-low and simmer 30 minutes.
- If you have an immersion blender, lucky you - blend the soup. If not, use a blender (to minimize accidents, let the soup cool before you blend it). Alternatively, leave it unblended. Add parsley, black pepper and just a smidgeon of salt.
- Other additions if you so choose:1/2 head cauliflower, chopped. Plain organic grass-fed yogurt.
Potato heads unite!
I hope you enjoy my Garlicky Leek Soup Recipe. For more delicious recipes, visit my Easy Healthy Recipes page.